Friday, December 30, 2005

Necessities for Happiness

In the vein of minimization, I'm taking a crack at determining what's necessary for me to be happy. This of course is a vastly greater list than what's necessary for my survival, and while it's a noble goal, I don't see it happening. I'd call it a "stretch" goal, but even that's a stretch...

1) Love -- love of a companion, children, parents, and friends.
1a) Relationships -- Good social relationships with those that love me, and also those I come into contact with.
2) Health -- A big part of my outlook on life depends on how I feel each day. I need to do a better job on this.
3) Food -- I love to eat lots of different things, and lots of probably unhealthy things, which is contridictory to 2), I know.
4) Sports -- Yea, I know...but it's an honest list...the Illini, Cubs, Bears, and Bulls make me happy. I can probably be happy without other teams, but of course, I'm not sure who my teams would play...
5) Music, Literature, Arts -- I'm definately not the most cultured person, but I try to keep myself involved, and learning new things.
6) Productive work -- I can't possibly be happy without being able to do something to engage my mind. Right now, it's working as an electrical engineer, on something important (to me anyway). I think the work that will make me happy, will always be important to me, and when it ceases to be, it's time to move on.
7) Open eyes -- For me to be happy, I must feel that others around me, or important to me, understand that there is more to the world than just their own situation. I must understand this too. In my last post, I talked about this, if don't understand the what we have, and appreciate it, we'll never be able to help others.
8) Travel -- This goes with open eyes, but also it's my personal enjoyment to see new things, and experience other cultures (Boston and San Antonio are other cultures I tell you!)

As of now, it's a complete list, but of course, it could change.

Interesting, what I don't need to be happy:
1) Lots of money -- To sustain many of the things above, money is needed, but not in the amounts being earned now, and larger amounts to be earned in the future. Luckily, my companion to be is of the same nature. Hopefully we can fulfill the ideals of philanthropy that we talk about now.

2) Toys -- My MP3 player does make it easier to listen to music, but I don't have to have the big screen tv's, high end stereo's, super fast computers, sling box, digital cable, HD, that I'm always thinking I should get. I need a cellular phone, for safety and for 1), because it's how I keep in touch with friends. I don't need a cellular phone that stores my pictures, my music, plays videos, games, and tells me to tie my showlaces though. I need a digital camera, because I'm cheap (same for the cell phone, by the way), but I don't need a new one just because mine is too big to take to the bars. I've thought this, seriously...luckily someone helped me see it's ridiculous.

3) Clothes -- One area where I'm doing pretty good. I don't spend alot of money on clothes (relatively that is), but I think I maintain a resonable level of presentability. I think some level is necessary for attaining the items above.

4) Cars -- I do enjoy my car, but it's definately more than what's necessary for my happiness. I should keep this one until it dies, or at least be more practical in my next purchase. Reasonable comfort is a necessity as it aids in achieving some of the things above...230hp, 3.0liter, V6 engine that gets 22MPG, is not...

5) Big house -- Ahh, the goal of so many people, including me, that just isn't necessary. My parents are struggling to figure out how to downsize in a reasonable manner. Other family friends are upsizing, which is a problem within the confines of the social drama that is "samaj." In other words, "what will (insert favorite gossipy man or woman here) say?" I don't need a room just to watch movies in, or a room just to play pool in, or a room that is just used to sit (the sitting room, really, it's the biggest scam in real estate, who uses these??).

6) Alcohol -- Interestingly enough, it doesn't necessarily fit in with anything above. Some of you are reading this, and thinking, "what the f, what happened to Mitesh?" Nothing, really. I'm not denoucing alcohol, or anything of that nature, just realizing that it isn't necessary for my happiness. Sure, a part of food is having good things to taste, but my palate isn't that sensitive to fine wines, or great beers, or other spirits.

Hmm...its interesting what you realize when you stop to think. I really don't have a need for stores like best buy, and circuit city, yet I go to them all the time. Unfortunately, I need stores like Walmart, but for less than what I procure from there right now. I need to think about the time spent in coffeehouses, and places like that, as they don't necessarily fit in with any of the ideas above. You don't go to one to open your eyes to the world. They may promote arts, literature, and music, but I don't think the chain ones do. There are definately some shops that do. The hot chocolate that I seem to get at them would fit in with food, but the taste (to me) isn't much different than what's at home, so why not sit and drink it at home?

Feel free to comment, and point out areas in which I am being hypocritical, because thats the only way for me to change. Either the action or the list should be modified. Also put up your own list, you might learn something.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mitesh said...

That's a really good point...everyone has different things that make them happy, and should definately not cut them out. For me, it's sports, it's a connection to my hometown for me. I probably will spend some insane amount of money sometime to watch my teams play...but it's important to me. For everyone that's different. I truly believe that "necessity" is different for everyone, and there's not a thing wrong with that!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home