Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Beach Is Nice

Hi everyone...
So I got up really early this morning, quickly got ready for my long day ahead. Travel day...heading to LA to get to work on Monday. Instead of spending one half day in Baltimore, which inevitably would have been spent making sure that everything was ready to go, and maybe worse, spent trying to get work done...I decided to get here early. I drove a quick 40 miles from the airport (the flight was uneventful, thankfully, although I hit my head...oh well, it's thick) to Diamond Bar, CA. My friend Dan lives there with his fiance, in a beautiful home. The most amazing thing about the area is the prodominance of Asians, and specifically Chinese. It seems that every sign for miles around has a Chinese translation attached to it. I should clarify, the store signs, not the street signs or other traffic signs (like some areas do in Spanish). I knew that there were lots of Asians, but I thought it was awesome how there were entire shopping centerS (notice the S, that's why its capitalized) that were entirely Asian stores and restuarants. The great thing is that this commercial community extends to a social community. From what Dan told me there were many events going on related to Chinese and other Asian cultures in the area. I'd have to say that I was impressed with the affluence of it all too. Most ethnic enclaves (Asian and otherwise) are generally in very urban settings that do not exude success. Diamond Bar and the areas around it exude success, some of it an excess of success, other area more modest middle class success, but success nonetheless.

From there, a quick drive south put me just south of Redondo Beach, on the Pacific Coast Highway. So it wasn't much of a highway here, and nor could I see the Pacific Coast...but I went north, as my goal was to take a roundabout way back to LAX that would allow me to see the Ocean. Strip malls and burger joints passed me on the leff and right, just a regular part of the American landscape. Going north, and turning left as often as possible (that would be West, and that's where the ocean is!), put me near the water, and the endless stretch of moving water. The sun was on the downturn, inching closer to the horizon, but blissfully resisting to go too quickly. Beautiful homes on the right, sometimes buildings, sometimes sand on the left...all right on top of each other, clearly not worried about personal space. Homes turn into hot spots of clothing, bars, food, and the young, middle aged, and old all mill about inside and out. Moving north, ducking into alleys, and stopping to enjoy the view, I make make my way towards the airport. Sooner rather than later, I arrive, and realize, I've still got time...and hence Tanner Coffeehouse is where I sit, on Culver Blvd...just NORTH of the airport, because the Beach is nice, and I wanted to see some more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home