Saturday, July 04, 2009

July 4th in Kenya

7/4/09
J and B had told us of some missionary friends who where having a 4th party. They invited us along with the kids. It was so much fun, we had a bbq in Kenya! We played games with the kids and met lots of people there. Many were on missions with a variety of different activities in the area. Working to improve slums, setup rural businesses, agro co-op's, helping ease racial tensions. Quite a great variety of folks. Micheal and Rebecca are 23 year old missionaries from Missouri. They are working with the anglican chruch to develop the agro co-op's. They are lucky to be house sitting for the owners of a bueatiful house...which facilitated the bbq. I made some contacts with people who maybe I can work with in the future. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. One thing that I learned was that there is tension between south asians and africans. Its basically about how they view each other...indians seem to be all about $, and africans seem to be lazy. There was a few members of a group who is helping to ease this.

Sadly, Anna and Karen went off to Kisumu. We have had so much fun. I had never traveled with Anna and just met Karen last week, but we had nothing but fun together. It was a great experience, and I got to learn so much from them too.

So I've been sitting here for an hour getting the blogging up to date. Amazing my phone works here at the hostel. My view from the deck here is of greenery of all types. There are lawns, and trees, and a garden. Other buildings of the hospital are around too. Birds are chirping away. I can hear what I think are church services off in the distance....very peaceful here! Ok, getting chilly, so I will go in and read...have dinner and just chill out. I'm going to the orphanage tomorrow at 230pm, and then to J and B's for dinner...and then the airport! See you all soon!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home