Sunday, June 28, 2009

Looking at the Ocean In The Morning

Its 1130 am on Sunday June 27th here in Dar E Salaam. I'm sitting in my 4th floor hotel room looking out over the harbor, there's a church service going on across the street, and the backdrop is beautiful water, with palm trees blowing in the wind. There's a working harbor in the distance, so the ships come and go into the docking stations.

The last few days have been amazing. On Friday, we had religious ceremonies for Nirav and Niki. It was poolside in the hotel...it was hot! ;) The chairs shifted as the sun put more of the patio in it's view. Then we had a nice lunch, and it was time to relax for a while. Anna and I walked around the city some, and it very much reminded me of India. Lots of hustle and bustle in the streets, as vibrant life is all around. Unfortunately, I still didn't know where my bag was, but the agents at the airport were looking into it. At that point, I didn't terribly mind, since I had enough clothes for the night and the wedding. The biggest loss of the bag would be the stuff I brought for the orphanage.

As it got later in the day, we got ready and went to the Hawaii Party throw by Niki's brother in law's family...what an AMAZING sight! We pulled up to a house...no a compound, actually we went through the gates, down a long drive, and come up to a house...got out, walked around back to see a Magnificent backyard...Steps lead down to a huge pool theat curves and leads you down a path to the ocean! Palm trees lined the sides of the walkway, and tiki torches lit the way! There was a DJ booth up on stage above the pool, with the bar nearby, and speakers put everywhere, so all could hear the music. Tables setup around the pool, stretching all the way back to the end of the pool, where multiple stations were setup for food. Beyond that lay the path to the beachhouse, and the water, shimmering in the moonlite. A wonderful atmosphere for a wonderful occasion. We ate, chatted, drank, swayed to the music, and then were asked to sit down...the show was to begin! It started with a gong, and fire breathing man...drums beat, and men and women came running out for the african dance show. 3 shows, of dance, acrobatics, and sheer beauty!

We danced late into the night...and we'll never forget the drum getting knocked into the pool, the flower bouquet toss...times two, because the first one went into the pool...the michael jackson tribute, Nirav going up to sing snoop...then him and I singing coolio...the food, the drinks, the weather, the place...phenomenal...

So Saturday came...I got up early, went tot he airport, to find that my bag was going to be delivered that night...so we relaxed, woke up slowly (really, I went back to "sleep"), went to Emporio to eat some nice turkish/medditerian food...came back and got ready for the wedding! The wedding was set in the Patel Samaj, which was a big ground and mandir setup for events. The mandap was beautful...but paled compared to the bride. Amazingly, though the place was not the norm, the feelings were, the ceremonies were great. I did manage to get my jhubo messed up a little while hiding the shoes...We laughed, cried, ate (of course), and enjoyed the ceremony...

When I came home...low and behold, my bag was being delievered! I got it...opened the first zippered area...and my shoes had been stolen! I was mad, but of course, who could I be mad at...I may make the claim with KLM at some point, but for now, I'm happy that I got the stuff back. The shoes...well, I hope that someone who took them uses them, and needs them more than I...

Okay...well it's almost time for lunch, and...the trees are swaying, the water's moving gently...
TIA...This is Africa...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home